Saturday, May 16, 2020
2.12 That Liquid Courage
Lydia returns to the magic shop that gifted her a potion, explaining that she drank it and was suddenly unburdened by the coward trait that had followed her since early childhood. She had the most fun night of her whole life, on a date with Vern Vinter, but now the thought of seeing him again makes her almost pass out from anxiety. She doesn't think Vern would like her as much if she didn't have that liquid courage. "I don't know what you did to me, but I need more of it."
"I'm so happy you have enjoyed my wares," Madame Ruth says, "but I would go out of business if I gave them all away for free."
"Yeah I figured. How much?"
"For you, darling? A special. Assist me in crafting more elixirs, and you'll be entitled to use some of them."
Lydia blinks. "I don't know the first thing about any of that..."
"But you do want to know exactly what you're drinking, yes?"
Lydia looks down, embarrassed. She can hardly believe she ingested that mystery potion in the first place. It could have been addictive drugs, it could have been poison...!
"The truth is, child, you are special," Ruth continues. "From the moment you were near my crystal ball, I knew you had hidden power."
"What are you talking about?"
"Your energy has an echo of rare magic. Not many possess it. I doubt you'd be able to weave spells, but you don't need to, you only need to be open to letting some of your energy flow into the recipe."
"That sounds... dangerous?"
"Let her show you the process," Leon Zhong encourages. He's been standing quietly behind the counter.
"I thought you were the alchemist," Lydia accuses.
"Oh, I do things," Leon says. "But you can do different things."
Lydia shivers as she's shown into an ancient basement, terrified that this is where she will be murdered, but she calms down as Ruth and Leon tell her what each of these plants is used for.
A side room provides a quiet place to work. Leon points out a book on a pedestal. It looks similar to one Lydia saw upstairs, and to several other books on the premises, but he insists it is different... that it has pages only someone like Lydia can pry open, and words that will only appear for someone like Lydia.
"The artifact will be able to siphon some of your energy," Ruth tries to explain. "It's harmless..."
"No pretense. It's about the money," Leon admits. "With you helping us, we can expand our inventory. New potions. New magic-imbued items... we may even be able to open trade with a certain witch coven that's been rudely ignoring us..."
"So you want me to believe all of this stuff is real?" Lydia is curious, but skeptical.
"Oh not all of it." Leon seems amused. "We cater to actual supernaturals, but in order to do that safely, our store has to also have that... pretender appeal. Most of our customers are sad people who only wish they had magic."
"Or people who enjoy the aesthetic," Ruth adds. "Our value to the cosplayers of Aurora Skies can't be underestimated, hm? And let us not forget the many who come to me for hope and advice. I'm a useful service, and my clients are lovely."
Lydia frowns, remembering having her fortune told as a negative, almost threatening experience.
Ruth shows Lydia how things are done.
Lydia's doubts about magic linger, for surely this is all merely chemistry... but then, when she touches the book's pages herself, she feels an undeniable rush of energy.
Lydia's world is forever changed. As a child she fantasized about being a witch, or the daughter of a mermaid or something, but as she grew older she was forced to accept her ordinary origins... just the result of some ordinary lady cheating on her husband one time with an old friend... but now Lydia is told she has deep magic in her bloodline, from sources her new teachers do not care to speculate on, and she finally has a way to conquer her cowardice.
For now she sticks with potions that wear off in a few hours.
The boost of confidence from the potions allows her to fearlessly go on dates with Vern, and to work on skills without caring if she fails at them, and to try bold things she never could before...
Hot air balloons, for example.
Lydia swings higher. She sees more.
"What's with you?" Laurel wants to know. "I know you toilet papered the principal's office, I've covered for you skipping class, Janette said you insulted her hair..."
Lydia shrugs. "Janette's hair is awful. I can't believe Viktor picked her over me."
"You've been singing karaoke with Vern," Laurel continues. "You were dancing in the lunch room, badly I might add, Dad doesn't care but you've been out past curfew eight times now... and Kelby Olivia says you quit your job at the bookstore! Where have you been going, sis?"
Lydia rolls her eyes. "I have a new job."
"Where?"
"Druidsdream Alchemickal Supplies. I tend the gardens, I mix the potions, and I get to keep some."
Laurel blinks. "What the fu...dge?"
"Wolfsbane and red toadstools if you want a pregnant woman to have triplets," Lydia says, "but swap out the toadstoods for spotlight mushrooms and you'll stay up all night without being tired."
"I can think of better places to get caffeine than mushrooms..."
"Potion Number Nine takes away all my anxiety."
"So you're doing drugs."
"I'm making magic. Do I need to prove it to you?"
"Forget I asked..."
"Well I want to see," Solana interrupts. "Whatever it is, I'm sure there's an explanation."
"This ought to be stupid," Laurel scoffs.
"Well... I have a zombification potion, in case I run into murderous fairies, but it can only be used on adults so you'll need to get Dad over here," Lydia says.
"In case of whatnow?" Solana frowns.
"Mister Zhong says there are supernatural creatures working to make sure normal people continue to not believe in magic."
"My plumbob, she's actually lost her mind," Laurel mutters.
"Daaad!" Lydia calls.
Lynx is, unfortunately, quick to the scene. "What is it?"
"Hold still please," Lydia requests.
Lydia hurls the zombification potion at her father. The reaction is immediate.
"Do you believe me now?" Lydia asks her sisters.
Her sisters scream.
Lydia is completely unbothered by the whole thing.
The zombification curse doesn't make enemies dangerous, it makes them stupid.
______________________________________
Etc.: She's got a ticket to ride, and she don't care.... ♪
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






















I think I enjoyed the casual mention of the fear murder the most here.
ReplyDeleteOkay, also now Lydia is my top pick for heir. Oh my many happy aplumbs. Actually I've been really enjoying the last few updates, each one focusing on a teen. It's been refreshing.
I don't think I will disappoint anyone with my heir pick, but we'll see. :)
DeleteI can’t help but worry that the alchemists have something nefarious in mind for Lydia. Maybe I just need some of that potion number nine myself!
ReplyDelete